Tuesday, May 10, 2011

So we got through

From March until after Mother's Day is hard for me. Mom was diagnosed on March 13, 2008 with lung cancer, on May 3rd of the same year she died. That's not even 2 months. The Sunday after we buried her was Mother's Day. Mother's Day will always be within a week of the anniversary of mom passing.

Last week I had to take Sarah -- dad's cat -- to the vet and had her put to sleep. She was 16 years old and Dr B said she could live probably another month or two but I didn't want to drag it out for her. That just wouldn't be fair to the cat. Sarah was mom's cat too. We even mentioned Sarah in mom's obituary.

Dad was doing pretty good, but the past week or so he seems to be going downhill. He is becoming more tired, and something else is wrong. I can't figure out what it is, maybe it's depression. I mentioned everything I could think of to dad's nurse today, and he (the nurse, we have a male nurse) said it could be a number of things. Depression being one, the progression of dad's illness, or a combination of things. Of course I am a worrier so I go straight to the bad stuff.

My brother......he and his wife are basically homeless. I got a text from him saying they were in Colorado and would find a job and all there. About a week later I get a text saying they were here in NC at the coast. He asked about dad and I told him, he says so it's bad huh, and I said yes. Did he call dad? Nope. When they were out roaming around the country did he call dad once? Did they stop by on the way to the NC coast? no, no, no. I get so upset and mad thinking about my brother that I try not to.

2 comments:

  1. Continuity of family relationships is very difficult for some people...obviously for your brother..
    I am very sorry, Kathy.
    I am wishing you well & thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be that your brother can't handle this right now...maybe he's not strong enough or brave enough.

    ReplyDelete